Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day! May Day! (1965 dream remembered)

Posted: May Day 2010
Updated: 23 May 2010


On May Day 1965, 45 years ago, I awoke from a dream that put my life into upheaval trying to understand it. See the dream here and its analysis here.

Dreams continue to be of increasing importance to me.

When I first began remembering my dreams in summer 1962, I was in graduate school at the University of Utah, working as a summer graduate research assistant at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California. I was also a member of the U of Utah LDS stake mission presidency.  I did not know what to do with this new experience. Having grown up Mormon, I was taught that dreams were important. But now that I had begun to have them, there was no one available who could help me, despite claims of Mormon leaders that they and the Church were guided by divine revelation.

By May Day 1965 I had graduated from the university and was working in San Diego as a research scientist studying nuclear fuels for atomic power reactors. I was also in an intense correspondence with a former Mormon leader, who had been excommunicated from the Church three years earlier and whom I was trying to help recover from that trauma. See here for details. This struggle to help my friend led to surprising life twists and turns, just as he had predicted in his letter May 5, 1965.

That was then.

Leaping ahead to my experience with Orthodoxy, there are two recent dreams that belong to this current narrative. The first came the night after our first parish council meeting in fall 2008. The second came the week end after Professor David Drillock's visit in September 2009.

To be continued....
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment