Friday, April 9, 2010

Approching Bright Saturday 20010

Original Post: Friday, April 9, 2010
Updated: 


As we approach "Bright Saturday" (the Saturday after Pascha or Easter, which includes Sunday morning), St. Dimitri's priest Fr. John Hennies and I had a few final email exchanges relative to his final Sunday service before retiring:


On Wednesday, 7 April, at 7:12 P.M. Eugene wrote:
Dear Fr. John,
When you are up to it, let’s get together and discuss M. Scott Peck’s description of “Militant Ignorance” as applied to St. Dimitri’s and the demise of beautiful liturgical singing.
Blessings,
Zhenya

On Thursday, 8 April, at 7:53 A.M. Fr. John wrote:
Dear Zhenya - CHRIST IS RISEN! I don't think there is something that can be called the "demise of beautiful liturgical singing", but I think beautiful liturgical singing has been raped!!!! Once someone has been raped they do not experience a "demise", but they must be coaxed back into recognition of the fact that God has created them to be beautiful, and violation does not mean they have lost all beauty. It means they have been raped! So I hold out hope for St Dimitri's and the return of beautiful singing.
What I need most from you at the moment is to have you chant the Epistle on my last Sunday, which is this Sunday, and that you give me enough space to move into my new life. After this Sunday I need not to think about St Dimitri so much as I need to ruminate on my new life and my new freedom. so please give me space to do that. When we next meet it will be a joyful time to return to the free-flowing thoughts which we have so often shared.
IN THE RISEN CHRIST, FR JOHN+
P.S. Arrogance will not diminish my hold on hope for the future

On Thursday, 8 April, 8:31 A.M. Eugene replied:
Dear Fr. John,
INDEED HE HAS RISEN!!
Well said, my friend!
I will be happy to chant the Epistle on your last Sunday at St Dimitri’s, but I doubt I’ll be able to sing the Liturgy. I intend to be silent unless the Spirit prompts otherwise. You will know if and when that happens.
Take all the space you need before our next meeting or communication. As you observed when we met at the café last Friday, we have come to a fork in the road of our common journey and are now moving in different directions. I feel my life’s work is only just beginning its final, integrating phase.
Much love,
Zhenya 

On Thursday, 8 April at 11: 29 A.M. Fr. John wrote:
DEAR FRIEND,ZHENYA - THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING MY CURRENT PLACE. I AM NOT "SHUTTING DOWN", I AM JUST LOOKING FOR THE NEW DIRECTION MY LIFE WILL TAKE. OOPS! I FORGOT AND LEFT CAPS ON, SO I AM NOT SHOUTING, JUST NEGLIGENT. LOVE IN CHRIST FR JOHN H.+

On Thursday, 8 April at 12:58 P.M. Eugene wrote:
And, of course, you will pay close attention to your dreams for clues to that new direction, yes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment