Thursday, September 17, 2009

Discourse with Jewish Views

An angel prevents the sacrifice of Isaac.
Abraham and Isaac by Rembrandt


For the past couple of years I have had an interesting and stimulating dialogue with Rabbi Gershon Steinberg-Caudill, former rabbi of Idaho. I first became aware of Rabbi Gershon when he commented on a Sunstone Blog post regarding the recent controversial California Proposition 8 issue on gay marriage. Both my son Nick and I were impressed by his comments and resources. We developed an independent dialogue, which the Sunstone people--an independent-thinking Mormon association--did not take an interest in. All this occurred before I joined the Orthodox Church in America this time last year.

Now that I have become an Orthodox Christian, Rabbi Gershon and my conversation has changed. In the previous post in this series I began inquiring into the origin of the three great religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam and soon came to an impasse when considering the spiritual experiences of Patriarch Abraham. That's when I recontacted the rabbi for his view and it has evolved into the kind of discourse that I have wanted for years--a dialogue based on experience, not academics... To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment