Monday, December 18, 2006

It was the singing!

On Monday, December 18, 2006, Joseph Dillard sent this message with an attached MP3 musical file

I don't know if you will get this music file in a playable form, but I'm gonna try. I think you'll like it! If it comes through and you like it, tell me and I'll send you more of the "Chorovaya Akademia" (Google it for more information!)

J


This note and the attached music changed my life!

Joseph did not recognize the language or know its origin, "perhaps Romania", he speculated. But as I began to hear the singing, the very first bars went straight into my heart like spiritual food! I implored him to send me everything else he had, which turned out to be 14 tracks, which he sent one by one.

When I saw the title to the 14th and last track, "God is with us", I recalled an event of over 50 years earlier and wondered if this chant was what I had learned as a young soldier at the Army Language School. Could it be the same chant that I had once sung for Russian Orthodox Metropolitan Anastassy? [See blog entries for time period 1953 - 1955]

IT WAS INDEED THE VERY SAME CHANT! And so it launched my search for an Orthodox church.

No comments:

Post a Comment