Thursday, January 8, 1970

House Arrest; 3-day Incarceration

I was excited about performing my first head/heart reconciliation experiment. The laboratory was all a buzz. I had taken my first design cue from Adamski's book Inside the Space Ships. Unknown to me at the time, there was a lot of maneuvering going on behind the scene, which I found out about only years later.

My colleague Tom Trozzera, in the next office to mine at General Atomic, was eager to help set it up. In those days my focus was strictly on hardware and I began with non-magnetic materials in a vacuum chamber enclosed in a Faraday cage. What was missing was a seismic base to eliminate seismic disturbances.

"This better work the first time, Gene!", a colleague (Tom?) said, "else you are deep trouble." I did not understand that warning, since no experiment I'd ever attempted had worked the first time as hoped. There was always something to learn and adjust before making a second attempt.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment